Castle Bromwich  Hall Gardens The Trust's Logo  Home Page   Picture of early 18th-century Green House Garden History Aerial view of the Hall and  Walled Gardens c. 1988 The South Prospect of Castle Bromwich Hall by Henry Beighton , 1726. The "Maltese Cross" parterre design shown above is one half of a proposed design for the North Garden attributed to Captain William Winde.  It has been adopted by the Trust as its logo.


Castle Bromwich is a special place for both landscape and architectural reasons. Situated only five miles from Birmingham City centre, Castle Bromwich Hall and Gardens represent a rare example of a 17th century Jacobean country house complete with its original garden setting. The present Castle Bromwich Hall was built in about 1599 for Sir Edward Devereux. In 1657 the Hall and Estate were sold to Sir John Bridgeman I who was to make important changes to both the garden and the main house around the year 1700. Bridgeman had as his advisor his cousin, Captain William Winde who had conducted improvements on houses, gardens and parks elsewhere, including Coombe Abbey, Eastwell, Cliveden and Powys.


Under the guidance of Winde who consulted such eminent people as George London and Charles Hatton, the garden was designed as a formal arrangement of self-contained garden areas, some ornamental, some working, each separated by walls, hedges or level-changes at terraces. On the death of Sir John Bridgeman in 1710, his son, Sir John Bridgeman II, continued to extend the Gardens westwards until they reached their present size of ten acres. The formal gardens were at their prime from 1680 until about 1760. The Bridgeman family moved to Weston Park in 1762.



The gardens were designed in the formal garden tradition, and have much in common with the Dutch style popularised by William III during his reign at the end of the 17th century. The gardens are special because they survived and continued to develop whilst the informal English Landscape Movement of the 19th century saw the removal of most other formal gardens. They have also survived the development and expansion of Birmingham, which has engulfed Castle Bromwich as a suburb during the 20th century. The extent of the survival was remarkable, so that when the Castle Bromwich Hall Gardens Trust was launched in 1985, the Gardens were still completely walled and their basic structure intact albeit derelict.